My Relationship with Media

What effect does media have on my life? Well that is a very complicated question, with too many answers to explain. I am one of the first generations to have grown up completely surrounded by technology which is a pretty interesting concept. My generation and everyone after will most likely never know what it is like to live a life tech-free. And with this fully technology driven world, it is almost impossible to never  get yourself wrapped up into media at one point or another.

Media, in my opinion, rules your entire day to day life. What we do, what we say is all thanks to media. One of the biggest things that I notice in high school with relation to media is a lack of creativity and originality. Now this is not to come out and say I am the most original person and am constantly thinking outside of the box, because as much as I’d like to think I am, I’m not. And to be even more honest you most likely aren’t either. We, especially as teenagers with a constant obsession with fitting in, perfectly portray the media. If you just looked at the class of 2022, I bet you can see the relevance of most of the media at the moment, excluding politics.

Now this idea slightly scares me the more I think about it. The more our society becomes media  driven the more we are opening up our lives up to be controlled. The more we become attached to the latest fashion trends or the newest video game the less diverse we as a society become. But being diverse and becoming the media is so much more effort and creates so much more vulnerability than following media. I am a culprit of my own crime. But then again I hesitate when I go to blame the individual for not being more outgoing. Because in the end, society has made it practically impossible to be different without hatred; and I can’t blame anyone for being scared of that.

So I go to ask myself again, what is my relationship with media? Media is sone thing I will unfortunately follow. And ultimately something I hope to push against, to retaliate against, in order to  make media more than what is in. I believe in media. I follow media. I am media. Yet I hope to change media.

Comments

  1. I really agree with this and I think you put it into great words. I think we try to not be influence by media or stereotypes but because of how prevalent it is and how big it is in our society I think it's hard to get away from. I don't think we neccasarrlily have to fight against media but much more to push against the stereotypes made by media.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment