Media man, it’s crazy!!

Media has always and will always have a big impact in my life. I spend most of my technological life with media. The amount of media I consume on the daily basis is unmeasurable, from the ads I get when watching TV to the ads I see on my way to school I am constantly surrounded by media, and a lot of the time this media is in the form of advertisement. With this constant input of media in my life, as well as my generation I think we have become more open minded  because of all the different view pints displayed to us, but also we lose our since of instinct and tend to rely more on what is being marketed or shown to us. Because of Critical Thinking and our study of media I have 100% become more aware of it and tend to analyze and question what media, specifically ads, are being shown to me a lot more. Before Critical Thinking I truly believed that advertisements had no effect on me because they wouldn’t ever make me want to go out and buy that product directly. But now after taking the class I realize the stigma I have towards certain brands and how I tend to buy certain products over others because of the implicit messages and techniques the brand uses. Like stated before, instead of denying the fact that media impacts me in such a large way I have open up to and accepted the idea that I have unconsciously been supporting and believing in certain media because of how they advertise and display themselves. If anything from starting this semester my media consumption has definitely increase due to my awareness of media. The more I learned about media the more I started to seek it out and look for it in places, therefore I think I was able to consume more media, and while doing so being more conscience of the media and how it affects me. Media literacy is very important in a very technology and advertisement driven world so we are able to comprehend what we are in taking. When being aware of how the media affects you, you are able to evaluate it and see if it is actually valid or a assumption a company made about you in order for you to do what ever they want you to do. By being media literate we are able to notice more media, and therefore consume more, but at the same time be able to pick and choose what you find beneficial to yourself. Same ideas go for advertising, when you know the companies goals and what key factors they target in order to make you buy you are able to combat your original instinct and take your time to really digest the advertisement and product from the company. When doing these media blogs I was able to consume a lot more media which is good. The more media I consume the more aware I will be as a consumer. But he through my posts and others I was able to analyze and look at a lot more media than I truly ever have. When analyzing media it is like a giant puzzle in which you have to figure out what techniques are being used what rationalizations  and target markets they are using; there are so many tiny parts that go into the full understanding  of media and once you have all the key factors together the media and the implicit message that is trying to be displayed is clear to see.  These media blogs have been one of the best assignments all year but he form my enjoyment of the assignments then self and because of my understanding of what I learning.

Peace Out Media Blogss!

Comments