Rick, Morty and Who?

Image result for rick and morty death stranding ad



Recently when I was watching yet another funny episode of Rick and Morty this commercial came on that was quite unexpected. This commercial came out in November of 2019, yet it might have gone unnoticed by many Rick and Morty fans as an ad. This is because the ad uses a very popular cartoon and connects it to a video game plotline. This catches the viewer off guard at first, because at least every time I have seen the commercial it has been the first one of the commercial break. When I saw the ad for the first time I truly thought it was just another part of the episode because it was just classic Rick and Morty style of humor and video and flowed directly away from the episode. But when seeing it the second time I quickly realized it was not part of the episode at all but a commercial. This was an attempt from the video game brand of Death Standing to give the viewers and ad, as well as entertainment. They do this in order for the viewer to not automatically disregard the ad at first because it isn't seen as trying to sell you something, but rather more as entertainment, and for the Rick and Morty fans an extra 30 seconds of their favorite T.V. show. This same idea was seen in a topic we discussed in class about a month or so ago, Madison and Vine. It is the idea of entertainment and advertising coming together to give the viewer more enjoyable and entertaining ads. Maybe I just haven't been paying enough attention but this is one of the first times I have ever seen the idea of Madison and Vine performed in cartoons. And I think Death Stranding and Rick and Morty pulled it off perfectly, seeing as the first time I saw the ad I didn't even realize it was an ad at all.

Comments